One of the most important pieces of scuba equipment that divers need to be particular about is the fins they will be wearing on their expeditions. If you’re thinking about diving and traveling deep into the depths of the water, you’ll have to make sure the model and type of fin that you get suits your needs in order for it to give you the best underwater experience.
In this article, we have enumerated our top 10 scuba fins in hopes of helping you find the most reliable, comfortable, and powerful pair that fits your budget.
What are the Best Scuba Fins?
You’ll find that this list doesn’t include full foot fins but rather open-heeled ones with straps that offer a more comfortable and customized fit for your feet, especially when your boots compress at certain depths. At the same time, they’re mostly paddle fins to give you that much-needed propulsion for your kick, as well as improved control against strong currents and better maneuverability for alternate kicking styles.
Whether you’re going deep diving for marine life, in caves and caverns, or exploring wrecks, these best scuba fins will help you have a wonderful time underwater.
LeisurePro Price: $144.95
Starting off the list are the famous Mares Avanti Quattro Plus open-heeled fins. What users love about these non-vented fins is their high-tech bungee strapping system, which saves you a significant amount of time and effort in putting on and taking off your fins. Instead of dealing with buckles, you simply stretch the strap around your heel for a comfortable and precise fit, even while you’re kicking underwater.
These fins also utilize Mares’ Channel Thrust Technology, using large channels that guide the direction of the water for four times more power and propulsion in every kick. Anatomical foot pockets provide comfort and power while reducing joint and muscle fatigue. They come in 6 different color variants, so you can choose to stand out both above and underwater.
- Non-vented, open heel design with durable bungee straps
- Made of Tecralene and Thermoplastic rubber
- Anatomical foot pocket for more power and less fatigue
- Channel Thrust Technology
- Ideal for all diving conditions
LeisurePro Price: $215
Offering a precise blend of efficiency and comfort, the Scubapro Seawing Nova open-heeled fins feature an articulated joint that lets the blades pivot to reduce drag and store energy to generate powerful thrusts. Its ERGO2 super-ergonomic foot pockets and upward-arched wing tips also contribute to more comfortable, powerful, and streamlined movements underwater.
The marine-quality bungee heel straps also give scuba divers the convenience of not having to keep adjusting straps or fumble with clasps, especially with thick diving gloves on.
Simply use one finger to quickly and easily put on and take off the fins.
- Vented blade with articulated mid-joint
- Open heel design with marine-quality bungee strap
- Strong, flexible high-tech Elastomer Monoprene construction
- ERGO2 super-ergonomic foot pocket
- Wing tips arched upwards for increased stability
LeisurePro Price: $69.95
If there’s one manufacturer of water sports and underwater equipment that you can fully trust, it’s Cressi. Over six decades of experience has led to some of the most revolutionary designs, including scuba diving fins like the Cressi Frog Plus. It features the brand’s exclusive and patented three-material molding technology in the blades’ design to keep the fins efficient and flexible when diving in different water temperatures.
Its highly sophisticated construction is suitable for beginners as it provides ease of use and powerful thrusts with minimal fatigue. The foot pockets are also comfortable, and the adjustable heel straps come with quick-release buckles for easy wear and removal. At way under $100, these are considered the best scuba diving fins by many beginners.
- Non-vented three-material blade design
- Increased blade area by 20% for optimum efficiency and thrust
- Adjustable straps with non-corrosive quick-release buckles
- Silicone-based blade inserts for channeling
- Suitable for both scuba diving and snorkeling
LeisurePro Price: $129.95
The Mares X Stream fins definitely stand out with an interesting design that propels water more efficiently along the length of the blade and reduces water turbulence. It features a new foot pocket and blade construction, as well as a large central superchannel that keeps water from spilling over the sides.
To further ensure optimal performance with minimal effort, it has ergonomically-designed foot pockets that promote maximum power while evenly distributing pressure on the diver’s feet to reduce fatigue. Its ABS Plus buckles are easy to open and close the heel strap, and the double button release helps lock the buckles in place to keep them from coming undone accidentally, so you can always keep the fins on whenever you need them most.
- Open heel design with ABS Plus double-buckled straps
- Pivoting blade design for optimized kicks
- Durable Technopolymer construction
- Ergonomic, anti-parachute effect foot pockets
- Three blade channels for added thrust and less fatigue
LeisurePro Price: $89.95
The Oceanic Viper open-heeled, vented fins boast of its excellent hydrodynamics and blend of premium materials to provide comfort, power, and efficiency. The blades, which are, designed to be bigger than traditional diving fins, increase thrust so you won’t have to exert too much effort to swim further and longer.
Embedded into the blades are carefully engineered side rails and thrust channels that guide the water flow, allowing the fins to be powerful, fast, and very responsive. Fortunately for beginners, the Oceanic Viper fins are ideal for snorkelers and divers of all skill levels, and are also suitable for use in warm waters.
- Vented open heel design with quick-adjust straps
- Oversized blades for increased thrust
- Thermal Plastic Rubber and Polypropylene construction
- Spacious, streamlined foot pockets for reduced drag
- Ideal for all snorkeling and diving styles
LeisurePro Price: $79
As its name suggests, the Scubapro Go travel fins are very lightweight and travel-friendly. They weigh only 1.5 kilograms and are compact enough for your IATA carry-on luggage. Made from 100% Monprene material, the foot pockets are soft enough for your feet even when you’re barefoot yet tough enough to withstand years of use.
The blades are built with a central power panel and pre-angled at 25-degrees for the perfect stiffness to create a channeling effect. Adjustable bungee straps also ensure a good fit for a range of foot sizes and great ease in putting them on and taking them off. If you need effective scuba fins that you can bring with you everywhere, the Scubapro Go is for you.
- Open heel design with self-adjusting bungee straps
- Strong 100% Monprene construction
- Durable and comfortable foot pockets
- 25° pre-angled blade with channeling effect
- Lightweight and travel-friendly
LeisurePro Price: $94.95
Also popularly known as the Cressi Reaction EBS, these classic scuba diving fins incorporate the brand’s advanced technologies in fin construction using composite materials to develop long tapered and progressively flexible paddle blades that cover a lot of ground without straining the legs.
Its carefully designed Thermo-Rubber Elastomer foot pockets increase blade area by 20% and provide great comfort for the diver. Elastic Bungee Straps (EBS) on each fin also ensure a comfortable and snug fit throughout the entire dive, as well as great ease during donning and doffing. With these powerful and efficient—not to mention shock and abrasion-resistant—fins, it’s no wonder they’re still being used and purchased by many today.
- Non-vented, open heel design with Elastic Bungee System
- Powerful, dual density Technopolymer blades
- Increased blade area by 20%
- Comfortable Thermo-Rubber Elastomer foot pockets
- Resistant to shock and abrasion
LeisurePro Price: $129
Like the Cressi Reaction, the Aqua Lung Express SS open-heeled fins (also known as the Express ADJ) have been around for a while now. But despite being released more than three years ago, it already has several advanced features that are being integrated into many of today’s best scuba fins. These include rubber side ribs for effective channeling of water and different thickness zones in the foot pockets for a secure fit that also promotes optimum energy transfer.
The most interesting feature on these Aqua Lung Express fins is the Armadillo membrane at the base of each blade. It absorbs elastic energy during each downstroke and releases it at the end of the kick cycle (just before the upstroke) to give each kick a power boost. The flex point in the middle of each fin also helps reduce joint strain and further contributes to the fins’ overall comfort and efficiency.
- Non-vented, open heel design with rubber spring straps
- Customized Technopolymer alloy blades
- Mid-foot flex point for reduced joint strain
- Energy-absorbing Armadillo membrane
- Comfortable rubber foot pockets
LeisurePro Price: $74.95
When you need fins that provide a great amount of power and maneuverability for particularly strong and unexpected currents, you may want to consider the Avanti Superchannel open-heeled fins. This pair of high-quality Mares fins give you better control, thanks to its three-channel blade design that reduces drag and optimizes water flow, and added thrust minus the fatigue with anatomical foot pockets.
Designed to be better than the Avanti Superchannel with buckled straps, these fins utilize the new bungee strapping system that allows the diver to wear and take them off with a single finger and not have to worry about buckles. The ergonomic heel cover also comes with a large, stretchy hand-loop that the diver can pull for a comfortable fit.
- Non-vented, open heel design with bungee fin straps
- Tecralene and thermoplastic rubber construction
- Three-channel blade for optimized water flow
- Anatomical foot pockets for added thrust and less fatigue
- Ergonomic heel cover with large stretchable hand-loop
LeisurePro Price: $44.95
The Cressi Pro Light fins are great for scuba diving, as well as for freediving and swimming. Its lightweight blades are designed to be travel-friendly, as well as provide impressive kicking power and comfort when in use in the water. The surface area of the blade is increased by 20% and is laced with full-length rails along the sides to help the diver navigate waters easily with added thrusts through minimal finning.
Although priced affordably, the Cressi Pro Light fins are more suitable for experienced scuba divers due to its large size. It is also made to accommodate diving boots, thanks to the open heel design, buckled rubber straps, and computer-designed Elastomer rubber foot pockets that ensure a superior fit.
- Open heel design with buckled rubber straps
- Flexible Polypropylene blade construction
- Increased blade surface area by 20%
- Comfortable, computer-designed Elastomer rubber foot pockets
- Ideal for all divers and experience levels
Check out this article for a complete list of all the scuba gear you’ll need for a safe and enjoyable dive.